Transform:Boot Camp:James 5

Tonight was interesting.


For the past eleven years, in one way or another, I've been involved with a ministry that seeks to establish people in God's Word. When I was 17 my Mom forced my sister and I to write an essay to get into this Summer Camp. Having grown up in the church, gone to Christian school all of my life and speaking the Christian talk very well... I thought I had better things to do with my summer. We studied a book called I John. I've never been the same.

Eleven years later, I was asked to speak as a platform speaker again. For several years, for several reasons, I haven't been involved with the student aspect of this ministry. For a week the 100 or so high school students have been inductively studying James. Tonight was their last night. Tonight was the night that I spoke on James 5--money talks. Tonight was interesting!

Intense really is an inadequate word. Add to it blunt, desperation and a hint of sarcasm and you have the book of James. James hits it hard... what a true believer, a child of God does and how they react, live and patiently suffer. Though James 5 talks a lot about the coming of the Lord and prayer, I felt the Lord lead me to talk about materialism... living for our pleasures... the tragedy of a wasted life.

What if people started to get what God said in this book?
What if the sleeping and complacent in the church were wakened?
What if the masques came down and people realized the black and white of the gospel of grace?
Having been to India and AFrica, the contrast is so apparent. As I tell some of those that I've traveled overseas with, I wish the Holy Spirit would give me a pill... the Africa pill so that I could remember. Lord, remind me about the simplicity and purity of devotion to you.

Take a look at this video to get the flavor:


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job last night. Though tough to hear, I know the Lord will use it in the lives of the students. d