Audience Particpation: TrueFaced

It is a rarity that one enjoys the required reading! The back sleeve read,
"The day of self-righteous, religious performing for cheap applause is coming to an end."

Eye catching, but soul searching as well.

I'm reading this book for an assignment. After reading, I'm supposed to ask 2 questions (where you come in):
What mask are you prone to wearing?
Why?

(You can either comment on here, or send me a message on facebook. I need 50 responses by January 15)

Basic premise of the book, the two roads that diverged in a wood... one is trying to please God and the other is trusting God. Both sound great. One is active, the other seems a bit passive. One well traveled and worn, while the other is rarely experienced. The one less traveled makes all the difference. One results in striving that never feels it has done enough to please God and others. The other results in a trust that experiences his full pleasure.

TrueFaced is one of those books that takes the simple things that you've known forever, thought about repeatedly, but rarely lived in the light of in the day to day. This book takes the true-gospel and communicates the message of grace without minimizing the call of the cross. The age old discussion of works based salvation and sanctification vs. grace finds a relevant voice, echoing saints through the centuries. Yet, if grace is real, if one really trusts the grace, strength, and hope that Christ offers... then why do we wear masks?

"As you have received the Lord, Jesus Christ so walk in Him."


We've been relocated from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of the Son, but for some reason we feel that we have to "pull up our boot straps, be sold out, or try harder" and then God will be pleased. Just as we've received Christ by grace through faith, so we are to continue to walk in Him by grace through faith... or, from faith to faith.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pride. I act like everyhing is ok, minimizing my sin so that others will be impressed. I don't want to be vulnerable with others for fear of rejection because of what they will see.

Anonymous said...

If I act the part and people don't like what I portray, then I am pretty sure they won't like the real me. It's a web of lies and deceit I end up playing so that I don't bring things to the light.

Anonymous said...

I tend to act as if I don't have any problems in my life beyond shallow day-to-day issues. This stems from the thought that others will be scared away if I am truly honest about my personal struggles.

Luca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luca said...

What would be different, then, if we all realized that everyone was really messed up... and everyone needed a renovation of the heart? Then it wouldn't be fear or acting out of pride, it would be one of grace and compassion--receiving it and giving it to others.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Independent" and the older "I'm Every Woman" ring true to the mask that I try to wear. I guess I want to prove to everyone else that I don't need them. Sad.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I think the mask I wear is my smile. While sometimes obviously it is genuine, I suppose the mask comes out when I dont want very many to see needs or hurts in my life. I guess because I feel I should be able to fix them myself. I don't really want to need others. I care too much what they will think of me if they knew my pain or my sin issues, so I put on the "everythings ok" mask and keep walking along having friends yes, but very few truly know me or even question if anything is wrong.

Anonymous said...

I'm two different people. When people find out the ugly side, I retreat. So, I put up walls and keep people out. Everyone says I need to let God's love in, but I don't know how.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I really want to help you out by giving you an honest answer and I am trying to think of a mask I may wear but I am feeling pretty healthy and open...as usual. I think the only time I wear a mask is when I feel I am in the midst of a self-righteous believer and I want to avoid any kind of negative comment from them so I just put on the mask of a person with a perfect relationship with God.

Anonymous said...

"Perfection". When I'm around people (not always my close friends) I minimize my problems and I don't talk about the things going on in my life. I want to help others, so I pretend that I'm perfect so I can feel good and help people.

Nathan said...

my fav mask is definately service... I think by "doing" more I can earn or fix... whatever. I have to realize that I can do nothing on my own except fail! My service is a poor substitute for a real relationship with my Creator. Service should happen... but true service is what He does through me... not what I do for Him.